Sunday, March 11, 2018

Balance Between Being Informed and Being in the Present



I am struggling with focus, I am distracted by the barrage of “Breaking News” that is constantly being interrupted by the latest “Breaking News”. There isn’t time to process, I don’t want to unplug from the outside world and live under a rock but I am completely overwhelmed by the headlines. I have to stop binge watching the news because isolation and polarization feeds on negativity.

I am feeling fainthearted and paralyzed - I don’t want to reach numb so I am seeking a balance between staying informed and being in the present. I want to be active, to be a part of the solution but there are too many causes to support and too many movements to join. Every time that I make a donation to a cause or write a letter or sign a petition my mailbox fills up with more pleas for support. I am being crushed by cries for support as a result of my “good deeds”, it is a never ending cycle that only adds to my feeling of being overwhelmed.

I haven’t figured it all out yet, but I am seeking my focus. I am limiting which causes I donate to and I am deleting a lot more unread emails now. Yesterday it rained all day and I just sat and read listening to the rain – no television, no news programs and no negativity. A news “fast” of sorts that was so refreshing.

The apostle Paul said, "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable -- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy -- think about such things and the God of peace will be with you" (Philippians 4:8).

Peace, Love and Light!
Kevin (Cloud)

No comments: