Saturday, January 27, 2018

Remembering The Draft



Photo: Religion News Service
I still have my draft card stashed neatly in a small box of keepsakes in the nightstand drawer beside my bed. 

 During the Vietnam War I registered for the draft in 1974 as a Conscientious Objector. Being a Christian, I could not reconcile the Great Commission or the Great Commandment with the realities of war.

A Conscientious Objector needs to evaluate deep personal views on the use of force... here is part of that thought process that I went through.

A Conscientious Objector need not be a Pacifist so I am not afraid to protect loved ones or to use reasonable force for personal self-defense.

I support the local Police, National Guard and Coast Guard in their role of keeping us safe. Our government is required to protect us but a nation going to war in a foreign land is not the same thing as protecting its citizens or borders.

 I do not believe that there is such a thing as a “Just War”. Historically the highest number of war casualties have been civilians, so applying the Just War Theory would make all wars unjustifiable and therefore a matter of personal and national conscience.

Here are a few other blog posts of mine about the Draft: 

The Draft

Jesus Freak Peacenik 

"And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more." (Isaiah 2:4)
 


Peace, Love & Light,
Kevin (Cloud)



No comments: