Friday, November 28, 2008

Barack Obama - Pastor Or President?

After reading the many blog posts about an interview with Barack Obama questioning his politics and his faith you would think that we were selecting a new Pastor and not the President of the United States of America.

Obama may not be an "evangelical" by most definitions, but he does express a deep personal faith. Obama was a constitutional law professor, not a seminary professor. He ran for the highest office in the land, not to be our national pastor. Perhaps what scares some is his admiration of our Founding Father's resolve to prevent theocracies from forming here in America. Here is a quote by Barack Obama from that interview:

"...Alongside my own deep personal faith, I am a follower, as well, of our civic religion. I am a big believer in the separation of church and state. I am a big believer in our constitutional structure. I mean, I'm a law professor at the University of Chicago teaching constitutional law. I am a great admirer of our founding charter, and its resolve to prevent theocracies from forming, and its resolve to prevent disruptive strains of fundamentalism from taking root in this country.

As I said before, in my own public policy, I'm very suspicious of religious certainty expressing itself in politics.

Now, that's different from a belief that values have to inform our public policy. I think it's perfectly consistent to say that I want my government to be operating for all faiths and all peoples, including atheists and agnostics, while also insisting that there are values that inform my politics that are appropriate to talk about...."


Read the entire transcript of Obama's Fascinating Interview with Cathleen Falsani on the Christianity Today Politics Blog.

Only time will tell if Obama will be a good president, and only God can judge Barack Obama a good or bad christian.

I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone - for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.
(1Timothy 2:1-2)

Peace, Love, and Light through Jesus the Christ!
Kevin (Cloud)

1 comment:

corrine said...

i have been following your blog for awhile now and i really enjoy your insights. as a college student taking Early American History this past semester, one thing has stuck in my mind through this past election...President Jefferson, who is now a hero in the eyes of contemporary conservative Christians was concidered a fiend by many Christians in his own day. one rag sheet actualy stated that if Jefferson were to be elected, the heads of children would end up on the end of pikes! to me, this is so near to what is being said about Obama. God has allowed this man to become our next president and God always has a plan. who is to say, like Jefferson he may end up being upheld as a champion of the people?