Friday, March 30, 2007

The Draft

I remember registering for the draft during the Vietnam War. I registered as a CO (Conscientious Objector) but didn't have anyone to tell me how to prove my status as a CO. The local Selective Service System Board didn't offer me any advice on how to file a CO claim (surprised?). No, instead they were kind enough to issue me a draft card with my classification of 1-A and my "Random Sequence Number" 077. Can you say cannon fodder? I know you can! For those of you too young to know what the heck I am talking about check out the Selective Service System web site...

Selective Service System - The Vietnam Lotteries

Thank God Nixon was brining our brave men & women home so I never had to go through the process of proving my claim. I still have my draft card, I keep it as a reminder of the insanity of that day.

Now you might ask how I came to the conclusion that I was a Conscientious Objector. As a young long hair hippie Jesus freak I couldn't reconcile the mandate to spread the Gospel and killing. How could I point a weapon at someone I was commanded to share the good news of God's love with and then send him on his way to eternity with a few rounds of 5.56mm fired from my government issued Colt M-16 rifle? "Hi, I am a Christian and God loves you so much that he has a plan for your life. Have you heard of the 4 spiritual laws? Oh, by the way I am here to kill you." BANG!

This didn't mean that I wouldn't have served my country. There is an Alternative Service Program that allows COs to work in noncombat - nonmilitary jobs and I was more than willing to serve in that program.

If you need help registering as a Conscientious Objector please check out these web sites before they start up the draft...

Selective Service System - Conscientious Objection

The Center on Conscience and War

Peace, Love, and Light through Jesus the Christ!
Kevin (Cloud)

1 comment:

That Ma said...

I remember those days, Kevin. Yiii. My older brother, Dan was "of age" and not until very recently did my Dad confess to us that he was fully intending to send him to Canada if he was drafted! This shocked us to no end, because Dad enlisted in the Navy in WW2 but the war ended before he was sent overseas. He told us that he was so relieved. We asked him why he enlisted then, and he said, "because it was expected. But I knew I was not going to survive if I was sent over. And I knew Dan was incapable of being a soldier either." we are Methodists, but sometimes I think we have a touch of Quaker!
I have four sons, and for the last two I registered them with "Leave my child alone" so the military couldn't bug them to join up. I am relieved to see another Christian with this basic belief. I was beginning to think that Christians were putting more faith in Bush than in Jesus.