Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Which Came First - The Tie-Dye or The Cross?

This question was posted recently on The Hippie Christian Bulletin Board, here is my response...

It was back in 1969 when Jesus found me, I was 13 years old then. I had just started to grow my hair long, of course I was into all the great tunes and wearing cool threads but I was not into the drug scene.

My transformation from a nerd to a hippie was happening simultaneously with my becoming a disciple of Jesus, so I was never really one before the other. The roots for both were planted deep within me from my earliest childhood but neither was dominate. My parents had some bohemian views and were spiritual in their own ways, but they were neither born again christians or hippies.

My transformation was during the Jesus People Movement and it was quite normal to be a Hippie Jesus Freak at that time. I never thought that I had to choose one over the other, for me being a Hippie and a Christian were not mutually exclusive experiences.

Most of us don't like labels, but I have always considered my self to be both, never one or the other. I am a Hippie Christian, a Christian Hippie, a Long Hair Hippie Jesus Freak, whatever - I am just one of God's colorful kids!

Peace, Love, and Light through Jesus the Christ!
Kevin (Cloud)

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hey, I just found you through Google's new blog search thing. Very cool site!!!! I love this: "I never thought that I had to choose one over the other, for me being a Hippie and a Christian were not mutually exclusive experiences." I am with you all the way on that. Peace!

Bill Heroman said...

Hey, Kevin. I hope you guys are getting enough sleep. Congratulations on the new grand-baby; wish it were happier circumstances.

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I'm really trying to figure out guys and blogging these days... it seems like everyone has their own guy-blog-island, or one or two blog-buddies.

I also wanted to say, every time I hear the word "bohemian" I think of my favorite Bohemian, John Huss. http://4.1911encyclopedia.org/H/HU/HUSS_JOHN.htm

I don't know if you've heard of him; around 1400, burned at the stake for attacking the clergy and preaching things like priesthood of the believer. His most famous writing was called, "The Church". (Medieval Bohemia = Modern Czech Republic) Anyway, I thought you might like to 'czech' him out.

But I have wondered how on earth the term 'bohemian' came into American culture from Czech history... then again, I don't know much about the hippie culture, either. My parents were young entrepreneurs during those days!

You definitely sound like you have an interesting story. I hope the new baby lets you find time to keep blogging every once in a while... maybe you can learn to type one-handed at 3 am with the bottle under your chin?

Lord, Kevin. & his wife & baby.